Rogue Community College
Rogue Community College
Phone Search Menu Search

College Terminology

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Academic Probation
Status given to students who do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress for the second time. Refer to "Satisfactory academic standing and progress" in the policy section or www.

Academic Suspension
Status given to students who do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress for the third time. Refer to "Satisfactory academic standing and progress" in the policy section or www.

Academic Success classes
Credit classes are offered in basic reading, writing and math to prepare students for college-level courses. Students must take a placement test to determine their academic level before enrolling in these classes.

Academic Warning
Status given to students who do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress for the first time. Refer to "Satisfactory academic standing and progress" in the policy section or www.

Adult Basic Skills
Students who need to learn basic reading, writing and math skills, prepare for GED® exams, learn English or prepare for college placement tests may receive assistance through basic skills programs.

Alpha Zeta Pi
A Rogue Community College honor society recognizing academic excellence.

An articulation agreement is created when two (or more) institutions agree that the content and difficulty level of courses offered by each institution is equivalent and that students taking the articulated course at one institution will not need to repeat it when they transfer to the other institution.

Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT)
A two-year degree that fulfills all lowerdivision general-education requirements of a bachelor’s degree. Upon admission to any public college in Oregon, students who have completed the AAOT (90 credits minimum) will qualify for junior standing. The AAOT degree does not guarantee that a student meets prerequisites for a particular major. The student may need additional coursework to be accepted into the major.

Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
A two-year program (90 credits minimum) designed to prepare students for work in a specific career technical field. A wide range of AAS programs are available at RCC, from Automotive Technology to Nursing.

Associate of General Studies (AGS)
A two-year program (90 credits minimum) that incorporates both lower division college transfer courses and career and technical education courses with general education coursework.

Associate of Science (AS)
A two-year program (90 credits minimum) based on signed articulation agreements with specific public and private universities and designed for students transferring to a designated baccalaureate degree program.

Academic calendar
Start and end dates of each academic term. Includes important dates for tuition payment, deadlines to add, drop or withdraw from classes, holidays and registration dates, etc.

Advanced placement
Credit granted or eligibility for an advanced course based on the student having mastered the equivalent of an introductory course.

Aid package
A combination of aid offered (possibly scholarships, grants, loans and work) determined by the Financial Aid Office per eligibility rules.

Award letter
An offer of aid (scholarships, grants, loans and work) determined by the Financial Aid Office.

Career and technical education (CTE)
A program of study at the secondary and postsecondary levels that is a key component of Oregon’s education and workforce development system. CTE integrates technical career skill proficiencies with academic content and prepares students for the workplace, further education, training, and family and community roles. At the postsecondary (college) level, CTE helps students complete Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees and certificate of completion programs, preparing them for workplace entry and career success. CTE courses are identified by the following prefixes: AH, AM, APR, BT, CPL, DA, DDM, DS, ECE, EET, EMS, ES, EST, FRP, HC, HCI, HD, HS, MEC, MET, MFG, MT, NUR, PN, PRX, SPT, SRV, ST, TD, WLD. Most of these courses apply to RCC career and technical education degrees and certificates.

College Now
A dual credit program that is located in some high schools where college credit can be earned in high school classrooms while being taught by high school staff.

College transfer courses
Courses that are generally accepted by fouryear colleges are identified with letters and numbers (e.g. WR121), with the exception of courses with the career and technical prefixes listed.

Career Pathways certificates of completion
Career Pathways certificates (CPCs) are 12-44 credit certificates offered in career technical programs and are usually three or fewer terms in length. CPCs serve as the first step in a career pathway, providing employer validated skills training along with academic preparation for continuing the educational pathway. Career Pathways certificates are stackable. This means all credits earned in the CPC count toward the related one-year certificate or two-year Associate of Applied Science degree.

Cooperative Work Experience (CWE)
A capstone experience taken in final terms of a student’s degree or certificate program. Students and participating businesses develop written training and evaluation plans to guide instruction. Students receive course credit for their work experience.

Core classes
Classes that all students in a major program are required to take.

A Counseling and Advising faculty member who is certified and/or licensed as a personal counselor and who provides crisis counseling free of charge to students. Counselors also teach human development and career guidance classes and provide academic advising.

A unit of academic credit that represents the hours of class time per week; granted in recognition of coursework completed.

Courses necessary to complete a degree or certificate; also refers to the material covered in a course. Declare a major Officially indicate a major or program of study. See “Major.”

Degree Audit
An individualized report that reflects a student's academic progress toward a specified certificate or degree.

A field of study or a category of classes such as humanities or social science. See “Major.”

Students may be dismissed or expelled for consistently poor grades or breaking rules.

Distance education
Classes taught over the internet.

Early College
A program where high school students attend college classes on one of the RCC campuses while still in high school. Understanding college terms 21

An optional rather than required class.

Money charged by a college for services provided to students. Fees are often charged for lab materials and recreational facilities.

Financial aid
Federal, state, college and private aid that helps students pay for college costs. Financial aid can be in the form of grants, scholarships, loans or work-study programs.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The annual application required for students to be considered for federal financial aid programs. Available beginning October 1 of each year at

Freshman Experience
For first-year freshmen and/or students who have not yet decided on a major.

Full-time student
A student taking 12 or more credits per term.

General education requirements
Courses required in a variety of academic areas such as science, writing and math.

Grade point average (GPA)
An indicator of a student’s term or overall scholastic performance calculated by dividing the total course points by the total applied credits. A=4 points, B=3 points, C=2 points, D=1 point, F=0. (Grades not included in applied credits are AU, I, NP, P, R, W, Y, and Z.)

Graduation guide
List of courses necessary to complete a degree or certificate. Grant Award based on financial need that does not require repayment.

Honor roll
Student list based on a GPA calculation based on completion of 12 graded college-level credits or more.

  • President's List – 4.0 term GPA.
  • Dean's List – 3.5 term GPA.

Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL)
The library can obtain materials from academic and public libraries nationwide.

A grade of “I” requires an agreement between the instructor and the student about the completion of the last 25 percent of course requirements. Requires minimum successful completion of 75 percent of the work required in the class prior to the end of the term. Faculty are not required to grant an incomplete.

Independent study
An arrangement that allows a student to earn college credit through individual study, usually planned with and supervised by a faculty member.

Informational interview
An interview to find out about a job or a career such as the training needed and responsibilities.

Paid or unpaid positions in which students work with an employer for a specified period of time to learn about a particular industry or occupation.

Financial aid that must be repaid, with interest, after a student leaves school.

The subject of study in which the student chooses to specialize or graduate.

Advancing through the educational process toward a goal, particularly related to enrolling in a college or university (e.g., upon completing the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree, to matriculate to Southern Oregon University).

MTuWThFSaSu (Shown in schedule of classes)
Represents days of the week. "Course offered TuTh," indicates Tuesday and Thursday class.

Occupational outlook
A prediction of the number of job openings there will be at a certain time for specific jobs.

Open Educational Resources (OERs)
Open Educational Resources are teaching and learning materials that students may use, share and often adapt, without charge, and are made available in the form of low- or no-cost textbooks.

Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA)
The ORSAA is an alternative to the FAFSA for undocumented Oregon students, including students who have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status or temporary Protected Status (TPS). Available on October 1 each year at www.

Part-time student
A student enrolled in 1-5 credits (less than half time); 6-8 credits (half time); 9-11 credits per term (three-quarter time).

Placement test
Used to determine starting levels in reading, writing and math for new students.

Courses that must be successfully completed (grade of A, B, C, or P) before proceeding in the curriculum (e.g. BT113 or WR115 must be completed prior to PSY101).

Quarter or term
An academic period of 11 weeks in fall, winter or spring terms, or eight weeks in summer term. Four per academic year.

Required component for most chemistry and physics classes. Provides a forum to discuss lecture and lab activities, review materials, take quizzes, etc.

Officially enrolling in classes for an upcoming academic term.

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
Students must maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) each term with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and/or successfully pass 50 percent of credits attempted, earning A, B, C, or P grades. Unsatisfactory progress may result in being placed on academic warning, probation, and subsequently suspension. Financial aid recipients have additional SAP requirements to maintain eligibility.

Awards to students that do not have to be repaid and are based on merit or merit plus financial need.

Set of two or three courses in one subject area usually taken in numerical order (e.g., BA211, BA212, BA213).

The official record of high school or college courses and grades generally required as part of college applications.

When students apply credits earned at one institution toward the graduation requirements of a program at another institution.

Transfer courses
Courses that usually share a common description or course number at multiple institutions (such as CS120) and that typically are acceptable at a four-year college or university.

The cost of classes or credits.

Work Study
A form of financial aid in which students earn money by working part time at their college. Students apply for work study by filling out the FAFSA.