Rogue Community College
Rogue Community College
Phone Search Menu Search

Expectations for Underage Students

RCC wants you to be a successful student. Understanding processes and policies will help you navigate the college environment. 

As a person applying for an acceptance into Rogue Community College and enrolling as an underage student, I recognize the following important points:

• Academic Freedom is Part of the College Learning Environment: The principle of free expression holds that faculty are free to teach and students are free to learn in an open environment without interference or intolerance.
  • Academic Integrity is Expected: Learning is built on the qualities of honesty, fairness, respect, and trust. At RCC academic integrity is a shared endeavor characterized by truth, personal responsibility, and high academic standards. An important aspect of academic integrity is academic honesty. Violations of academic honesty include, but are not limited to: plagiarism, collusion, inappropriate assistance, cheating, fabrication, falsification, alteration, unauthorized multiple submission, sabotage, and tampering.  Students who violate academic honesty or academic integrity will be subject to disciplinary action; see Student's Rights, Freedoms and Responsibilities.
  • A College Learning Environment is Adult-Oriented: The development of critical thinking in an adult-oriented college learning environment requires an examination of many ideas, concepts, and themes. Open discussions and the free exchange of ideas often include adult subjects related to sexuality, psychology, politics, philosophy, religion, and a variety of topics that demand maturity and respect for the opinions and values of other persons.
  • Communication: In the spirit of student development, RCC staff and faculty may communicate with parents/guardians. Grading standards, classroom behavior, or academic progress are topics best discussed with students. If agreed to and when appropriate, a parent/guardian may accompany a student for faculty consultations. RCC does not hold parent/teacher conferences. Faculty at RCC are not required to communicate with parents/guardians.
  • Grading Is a Faculty Responsibility: College faculty, as professionals, have the right and responsibility to evaluate, assess, and grade student academic performance without influence or interference from students’ parents, guardians, or other outside sources. High school students taking College Now courses through their high school will earn grades “A-F” or “P/NP” which become a permanent record on their RCC transcript
    •  If I do not want to receive the grade I’m going to earn in a class, I must withdraw in myRogue by the withdraw deadline. If I do not withdraw by the deadline or if I simply stop attending a class I am subject to the grade I have earned for the class. Please see the course catalog for the withdraw deadline for courses that are not term-length. A withdraw protects your grade point average (GPA) but you are still financially responsible for it.
    • The courses I attempt through RCC, whether in or out of high school, will always be part of my academic record. Grades received in those classes will remain on my permanent transcript and could have future repercussions on the ability to enroll and/or receive financial aid at RCC if not passed successfully.
    • My overall completion percentage (successfully completed credits divided by total attempted credits) is important to my academic and financial aid eligibility. Courses for which I receive an F, Z, NP, W, I or Y negatively affect that completion percentage.
  • Library and Internet Use Is Not Censored: In the pursuit of knowledge under the principles of academic freedom, RCC provides uncensored and unfiltered access to information through its library, media, and internet access to all students on campus computers. Student use of College information resources is expected to be for legitimate academic activities. See RCC’s Information Technology Acceptable Use Procedure.
  • Paying for College: I am not eligible for federal financial aid until I complete my High School diploma or GED. I can apply for RCC scholarships or participate in partnership programs such as College Now or Early College, or apply for RCC student employment if I’m eligible. I am ultimately responsible for making sure my balance is paid at RCC. I understand if I do not make payment arrangements by the payment deadline and make applicable payments after that, late fees will be added and the account will go to collections if not paid within 60 days of the term’s end. Accounts sent to collections could have a negative impact in my credit score.
    • If I am enrolled in a partnership program such as Early College, it is my responsibility to ensure that the courses I’m registering for is approved and authorized by my high school for me to take. I will discuss this with my High School Liaison.
    • If I do not drop a course by the drop deadline, I am financially liable for it, with or without outside financial assistance. Please see the course catalog for the drop deadline for courses that are not term-length.
  • Release of Information: At the post secondary level, parents have no inherent rights to inspect a student's education records. The right to inspect is limited solely to the student, under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FEPRA).  For students under 18, it is the student’s responsibility to submit an Academic & Behavior Information Release to grant RCC permission for academic and behavioral information to be shared between any representative of the high school, school district, parents/guardians, RCC, Oregon Board of Education and disability support services. The purpose of sharing information from a student record is for academic success at RCC and payment of tuition, fees, and books. Cancellation of this permission is the student’s responsibility.
  • Safety: Rogue Community College is open-enrollment to the community. Students may be exposed or have classes with other students who have criminal backgrounds, including sex offenders.  Campus security and safety is everyone’s responsibility.  If you encounter a security or safety concern, please report it to staff, faculty, or a security officer. It is recommended you save the contact information for campus security into your cell phone. RCC encourages students to be aware of their surroundings as they are on-campus or walking off campus. Student safety is important to RCC.  RCC does contract with private security at all campus locations.  You can learn more about campus security by viewing their website.  Please be sure to register to receive alerts about situations which may arise on campus.  Information on how to do so can be found at https://web.roguecc.edu/risk-management/campus-security
  • Students Are Responsible for Their Learning and Conduct: In an adult college learning environment, students are responsible for their own learning, including their attendance, participation, academic performance, and conduct; see Student’s Rights, Freedoms and Responsibilities at: www.roguecc.edu/Students/StuRights/StudentRightsFreedomsResp.pdf
  • Students with Disabilities Are Responsible for Self-Disclosing and Providing Disability Verification: The College does not provide secondary special education services. Accommodations are available to provide an equal opportunity in college courses, programs, activities, and services upon request to eligible “otherwise qualified” students with disabilities, in accordance to applicable post-secondary education laws and RCC disability service procedures. Students must be able to negotiate the campus facilities and take care of personal needs independently or with the help of a personal attendant.
    • To be eligible as a student with a disability for college placement testing and academic accommodations, student must make an appointment with RCC Disability Services at the intended campus of attendance at least six weeks prior to the start of his/her first term at Rogue.  This may include but is not limited to individuals currently receiving high school special education services or on 504 plans. Disability documentation is required. Phone: 541-956-7337 or 541-245-7337.
  • Truancy: RCC encourages students to complete credits al possible coursework within their school district before pursuing classes at RCC.  RCC does not support truancy, the absence from compulsory education, and requires authorization from the school or ESD to take classes during school hours, in accordance with OR 339.010.  It is your responsibility to submit documentation to RCC whenever taking courses during school hours.
  • Recognition of Expectations: I recognize that the above points are part of an adult college learning environment, and I will conduct myself in accordance with these expectations in order to benefit from the college learning environment. My acknowledgement of these expectations is indicated by my signature on Underage Enrollment Form.