Rogue Community College
Rogue Community College
Phone Search Menu Search

Transfer Frequently Asked Questions

Which RCC courses transfer?

  • Because RCC is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, the majority of our 100 & 200 level general education classes will transfer to a four-year institution. For a list of RCC transferable classes, refer to the RCC catalog. We also recommend that you check with the college you plan to transfer to, as courses may not be exactly the same when you transfer from school to school.

How many credits does it take to transfer?

  • It takes approximately 36 quarter credits (or 24 semester credits) of 100 or 200 level courses to transfer to a university under Transfer Admission guidelines. Contact your university for their specific transfer credit requirement.
  • If you would like to transfer with junior status, transfer with 90 quarter credits (or 60 semester credits).

How Many Credits Can I Take at the Community College?

  • Up to 124 credits from an accredited community college may be applied to the Bachelors Degree at Oregon’s state universities, however, we highly recommend that you see an advisor to discuss your specific situation. Some institutions and some departments review units differently once a student has attended a four-year institution.

Is there a minimum grade point average to transfer?

  • The minimum grade point average needed to be eligible for transfer to a four-year university varies. For example, the minimum grade point average (GPA) needed to be eligible for PSU is 2.00; the minimum grade point average needed to be eligible for OSU is 2.25.
  • If you are applying to a competitive major that requires a departmental application, e.g. business school, the GPA for admission to this major may be higher than the college admission GPA. Check with your transferring institution's department for specific requirements.

What is General Education?

  • General Education (GE) usually consists of a set number of classes in the subject areas of Arts and Letters, Social Science, and Math and Science. Each school will have different requirements and minimum number of credits needed to complete GE.
  • Each school has a unique name for their General Education. For example, Oregon State University calls their General Education Baccalaureate Core. Portland State calls their general education University Studies, and University of Oregon calls their general education Group Requirements.

What are the differences between an Associate Degree/Bachelor Degree?

  • An Associates Degree is earned at a community college and a Bachelors Degree is earned at a university.
  • The Associates Degree consists of approximately two years of (100 and 200 level classes) full-time enrollment. A Bachelors Degree consists of approximately four years (100-400 level classes) of full-time enrollment.
  • Associate Degrees designated for transfer to a four-year institution do not offer majors. Instead, they are comprised of lower-division general education courses.

Do I need an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree to transfer?

  • No. You need to meet the minimum admission requirements for the college/university that you plan to attend. This may include college level competency in Math and Writing for some colleges. Even though completing an Associate Degree before transferring is not an admissions requirement to the university, it may benefit you to do so. Discuss this option with an advisor.

What is the difference between a Major and a Minor?

  • A major is a primary focus of study and a minor is a secondary focus of study. For example, you could major in Business and minor in Spanish.
  • Majors are typically chosen to compliment a student’s career goal, and a minor may be chosen to enhance the major.
  • Both majors and minors are awarded by four-year institutions.

Where can I find out what classes to take for my Major?

  • RCC has developed Transfer Guides for various majors at many of Oregon's four-year public and private universities. These Guides include a list of lower division requirements for your major, which in most cases you can take at RCC.
  • If your transfer university is not located in Oregon or if RCC does not have information about your school, please refer to that college's website or contact the college direct for information.

Do I need to declare a major before I transfer?

  • You do not need to declare a major before you transfer, but as soon as you have reached junior status at your university, you must declare a major.
  • If you know what your major is before you transfer, it is recommended that you start appropriate coursework while at RCC.

Where do I go for help with choosing a major?

  • Career and/or major counseling is available through the Counseling Centers at each of the RCC Campuses (Redwood and Riverside).

How do I find out about transfer requirements for my school?

  • There are many resources available to assist you. You can:
    1. Visit the university in which you are interested. Many universities have Preview Days or may also accommodate you on an individual basis.
    2. Research the transfer requirements in your transfer college's catalog or on their website.
    3. Refer to the Transfer Guides at your RCC campus.
    4. Attend the Transfer College Fair that takes place on the RCC campuses each year in January. It provides students with a wonderful opportunity to meet with representatives from many Oregon universities.

What is the difference between a quarter and a semester?

  • All of the public colleges and universities in Oregon are on the quarter system. Most out-of-state public and private institutions are on the semester system. For example, an academic year at a quarter school is comprised of 3 terms: fall, winter, and spring, each lasting 11-12 weeks in length. An academic year at a semester school would consist of 2 semesters: fall and spring, each semester lasting approximately 15 weeks or 4-5 months.

How can I meet with a college representative?

  • Representatives from many four-year universities visit the RCC campuses on a regular basis each term. To make an appointment to meet with them, contact either the Advising Center or the Transfer Center at your campus.