Rogue Community College
Rogue Community College
Phone Search Menu Search

Steps to Apply for VA Education Benefits

In addition to following the steps necessary to enroll in classes at RCC, there are steps you must follow if you intend to apply for Veterans Educational Benefits.

  1. In order to receive VA Educational Benefits, you must be pursuing a degree or certificate program that has been approved by the VA. The Veterans Coordinator on the Redwood and Riverside campus can tell you if your program of interest is approved by the VA.
  2. To begin receiving educational benefits, veterans must complete an Application for Education Benefits, and provide the VA with a copy of their DD-214 as part of the online application process. Other documents may be required depending on their VA Chapter and as requested by the VA.
  3. After applying for Educational Benefits, please contact the RCC Veterans Coordinator and they will open a file for you and complete an Enrollment Certification form to activate your benefits.

    Please note: The RCC Veterans Coordinator/Certifying Official does not determine your eligibility for benefits. Your eligibility is determined by the Veterans Affairs Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma when you apply online. This process takes up to 6-9 weeks to process, so please plan accordingly.

Application Process:

Apply online at on the GI Bill® website. The information listed below will help you to understand the options available to you before you start the electronic application process.

You many also mail a copy of your DD214, or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility if you are National Guard) to:
Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee
Oklahoma, 74402-8888

How to Obtain a Copy of Your DD-214

A Report of Separation is generally issued when a service member performs active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training. Among other things, the Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service regarding eligibility for educational benefits. If you need to obtain a copy of your DD-214, you may use the eVetRecs Request System on the National Archives Web Site.

Choose from these definitions to determine your chapter number:
Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty Educational Assistance Program Chapter 30

If you first entered active duty on/after July 1, 1985, and contributed $1200 to the VA Education Benefits-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program; or if you earned an honorable discharge at some time in your military career and your final discharge was no more than 10 years ago; or you are currently on active duty. (Please note: some service members originally entitled to chapter 32 benefits accepted the offer to convert to this category of benefits.)

Vocational Rehabilitation Program Chapter 31

If you have questions please call 541-772-0155

Post-9/11(GI Bill®) Chapter 33

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.  You can also review the program pamphlet.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (CH 33) Payment Rates for 2017-2018 Academic Year

If a Veteran believes they are eligible to transfer their Chapter 33 benefits to a dependent please visit Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill® to Spouse and Dependents.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program Chapter 35

If you are the surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran/serviceperson who:

  • Died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service- connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces, or
  • Died from any cause while such a service-connected disability was in existence, or
    • Is missing in action or captured in line of duty by hostile forces, or
    • Is forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government of power.

Note: Students who are eligible under Chapter 35 must also mail a copy of pertinent information that ties them to the Veteran, (i.e., marriage license, birth certificate, etc.) to the regional office in Muskogee, OK in order to complete the application process.

Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve Educational Program Chapter 1606

If you are currently actively serving in a component of the selected reserve(Reserve or National Guard).


RCC Veterans Services is proud to be a part of the following organizations:

student veterans association logo military friendly school department of defense seal service members opportunity colleges  navpa